29 Great Gatsby-Themed Wedding Ideas
Now that we’re in the Roaring ’20s all over again, engaged couples are celebrating by throwing glamorous Great Gatsby-themed weddings and parties. The great American novel has inspired countless planners to recreate the glitz and romance from the story in real life for guests to enjoy. And with these Great Gatsby-themed wedding ideas, you can too!
Whether you enjoyed the book, the movie, or simply love the 1920s and art deco, this mix of Great Gatsby-themed wedding ideas — including venues, cake ideas, and more — has something for everyone.
What is a Great Gatsby-themed Wedding?
A Great Gatsby-themed wedding is a ceremony and/or reception inspired by F. Scott Fitzgerald’s 1924 novel about the love story between multi-millionaire Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan. Although the themes of the story are centered around the American Dream and class issues, the 1920s world of the book offers exciting parties, glamorous drama, and all the excitement of the jazz age.
Explore 29 of our favorite Great Gatsby-themed wedding ideas:
Overall, you’ll find that Great Gatsby wedding ideas all involve a combination of the 1920s polished style, classy New Year’s Eve-related decor, and a touch of glamorous whimsy that only Jay Gatsby himself can conjure up.
Venues that can accommodate a Great Gatsby-themed wedding
Aim to book a venue that has dramatic architecture, plenty of secret corners for lounging, and a romantically moody atmosphere if you want to reflect the 1920s glamour of the famous Great Gatsby world. Explore these bookable Great Gatsby wedding venues from all over the United States, along with where they are located, how much they cost, and what makes them perfect for this theme.
Location: Florham Park, New Jersey
Cost: Starting at $9,387 for 50 guests
Book the Park Savoy for its grand ballroom, gigantic chandeliers, and historic gardens. The mansion is a private estate with terraces, a Juliet balcony, and plenty of rooms for guests to get cozy in. It’s a three-time Wedding Spot award winner offering both indoor and outdoor spaces for your Great Gatsby-themed wedding.
Location: Belleville, New Jersey
Cost: Starting at $16,319 for 50 guests
Enjoy glamour and function in this decadent ballroom with its wood-burning fireplace and Italian-inspired architecture that brings major elegance to the space. The villa offers a garden for the ceremony, a white bridge for photos, and a crystal-chandelier-having ballroom for the reception. Nanina’s in the Park also offers table, chair, and furniture rentals already onsite for your convenience.
Location: East Brunswick, New Jersey
Cost: Starting at $16,351 for 50 guests
Take a look at this French-inspired estate and gardens for a moody-yet-glamorous Great Gatsby wedding venue. The cathedral offers the classic black and white design you can dress up with gold accessories to complete your unique wedding theme. Spend time in the picturesque gardens and courtyards for drinks before and during the reception.
Location: Carlstadt, New Jersey
Cost: Starting at $8,750 for 50 guests
Care to cut the rug on 1,200 square feet of imported granite beneath 12 crystal chandeliers hanging from 24-foot ceilings? If so, consider Il Villaggio Exclusive Wedding and Special Events with its picture-perfect Juliet balcony you can use as a reception entrance and multiple wood bars for serving Gatsby-worthy drinks.
Location: Flushing, New York
Cost: Starting at $6,217 for 50 guests
Notice the dramatic candelabras and art deco chairs in many photos of Terrace on the Park, which also offers panoramic views of the New York City skyline and decadent 1920s-style interiors.
Decoration ideas for your Great Gatsby-themed wedding
Buy or craft these decorations using plenty of feathers, pearls, glitter, and shiny metallics for the ultimate Great Gatsby and Roaring ‘20s look.
6. Make tablescapes with gold sequin tablecloths, black and gold plates, and clear glass hurricanes at varying heights filled with floating white candles to pay homage to the style and the book’s dark ending.
7. Combine giant fluffy feathers into a circle design then set it on top of a gold candlestick and add strings of pearls all around it.
8. Build a pyramid of coupe glasses with champagne bubbling inside them for a stunning reception entranceway piece. Make sure the drinks are poured shortly before guests arrive at the venue and have your bartenders keep an eye on the bubbles so they can refresh them before they go flat.
9. Wrap strands of pearls around large antique perfume bottles and group them on gold or mirrored trays for photos in the bridal suite.
Great Gatsby-themed cake suggestions
Create an art deco wedding cake using textured tiers made of edible gold, glitter, sequins, and pearls — or imitate one of the following designs.
11. Explore the idea of a white cake made of fondant with rococo accents, black stripes at each tier base, and roses on top.
12. Use icing to create faux strings of pearls then place a gold line illustration of layered squares and circles surrounding a cursive monogram.
13. Start with a plain black bottom tier with its own dotted white icing. Then, add two plain white tiers on top accented by a gold and black gemstone sunburst for a statement look.
14. Put faux tulle and a beaded feather headband at the base of a black and white cake to make it mirror your aesthetic.
Great Gatsby-themed wedding invitation ideas
Follow the black and gold art deco trend, add in some fun texture or shine, or go for a completely unexpected invitation experience with artwork from the book or a lace-like envelope.
15. Choose a matte black background with gold art deco framing and cursive typography if you want something instantly recognizable for this theme.
16. Make it sparkle with a gold and silver glitter monogram on the front and metallic gold writing inside.
17. Style the invitation with rose-patterned black cutout envelopes and a gold ribbon tied in a bow.
18. Swap a rectangular card for a bracket-shape to add to the art deco feel of the event.
19. Stay true to the book by using blue, lavender, and yellow hues that match the artwork in the novel, chosen specifically to evoke feelings of dreamy comfort.
Great Gatsby-themed flower arrangement ideas
Remember that your decor, venue, and wedding attire will all have busy designs, so it’s best to stick with white, cream, and pastel when it comes to your wedding flowers. Choose stems with large, interesting heads then put them in vessels that are oversized, clear glass, or gold.
20. Combine white gardenia bundles with tall, black feathers in a clear glass vase for a simple yet dramatic look.
21. Honor Daisy Buchanan by adding gold spray-painted daisies to your bouquets.
22. Put roses in sky-scraping vessels with strings of pearls or mirrored gems hanging from them and top it off with large white feathers.
23. Use simple white freesias with their greenery and a champagne ribbon to create an understated elegant design.
24. Choose cascading bunches of white orchids, calla lilies, and roses all in white for bouquets or table arrangements.
Wedding dress suggestions for your Great Gatsby wedding
Break rules like Daisy and go for wedding dresses with gold, champagne, or black fabrics with shine and texture. Add bold accessories such as feathered headdresses and sequin wraps.
25. Go off the shoulder with a nude and white lace dress that has a fringe accent at the bust as well as a white satin belt.
26. Try a tiered fringe dress with a feather boa in champagne or white and a matching headband, long strings of pearls, and a beaded clutch.
27. Consider a white or cream satin halter top dress with a drop waist and a wrap made of layered lace, satin, and tulle.
28. Take a look at a champagne-colored spaghetti strap dress with a sequined fabric and lace sheath to top it all off.
29. Combine a champagne V-neck, floor-length dress with a sequin shawl, gold statement earrings, and matching gold shoes.
Top off your Great Gatsby-themed wedding planning with even more ideas!
Add even more jazz-age appeal to your Great Gatsby wedding by using these New Year’s Eve wedding ideas that include plenty of gold, black, and sparkle to qualify for this F. Scott Fitzgerald world. Or, try a castle wedding like Russell Wilson and Ciara did.