30 Game of Thrones-Themed Wedding Ideas
Looking for ways to incorporate Game of Thrones into your big day? These 30 Game of Thrones-themed wedding ideas will help you pull off a unique and authentic experience sure to please any die-hard fan. Read on for ideas about venues, decor, invitations, and more to set the mood and bring your guests into the Seven Kingdoms.
What is a Game of Thrones-themed wedding?
In recent years, the HBO fantasy drama based on a best-selling book series launched into the pop culture hall of fame. It’s known for its vibrant characters and gripping intrigue set against a diverse backdrop of snowy forests and seaside castles. But just because the show is over doesn’t mean it has lost any momentum in popularity. Depending on whether you favor King’s Landing, Braavos, or anywhere in between, your wedding can channel the atmosphere of Northern Ireland and Iceland or Croatia and Spain – the show’s primary filming locations. Or you can combine all your favorite parts of the show into your own unique ambience.
Explore 30 Game of Thrones-themed wedding ideas for your big day:
Game of Thrones brings to mind bold, rich colors and a blend of the rustic and extravagant. Whether you recreate your favorite scenes from the show or choose your own adventure, your wedding won’t be dark and full of terrors — not with these 30 inspiring Game of Thrones-themed wedding ideas.
Venues perfect for a Game of Thrones-themed wedding
Location: Woodside, California
Have your ceremony surrounded by towering redwoods with views of the meadow and the nearby bay. Choose to dine outdoors in the forest atmosphere or move indoors to the dining room with exposed beams, a stone-crafted fireplace, and an antique oak bar.
Location: Berryville, Virginia
The rustic yet elegant historic mansion offers indoor and outdoor ceremony options, depending on if you’d like to exchange vows on the stone steps in view of the iconic portico or in the woodsier area of the West Lawn. The Carriage House is perfect for a reception, with its towering ceilings, exposed beams, and stone wall.
Location: Jamestown, North Carolina
Get married in a European-style castle, but in the US. With massive wooden doors perfect for making a grand entrance, an epic staircase, stone walls, exposed oak beams, cathedral ceilings, and pointed arch windows, Castle McCulloch can be your very own Winterfell. Wrought iron chandeliers and tapestries drive home the feeling of royalty.
4. Castle Farms
Location: Charlevoix, Michigan
Castle Farms gives you exactly what it says — an elegant combination of historic architecture and dramatic towers, with gardens and courtyards. For both a castle and farm feel, you can’t go wrong with this venue.
Location: La Jolla, California
With its beautiful gardens and Spanish-style architecture, this venue echoes vibes of King’s Landing or House Martell’s Water Gardens of Dorne. Choose to say your “I dos” surrounded by olive trees or in the garden courtyard with over 100 different flowers and plants.
Location: Paradise Valley, Arizona
Take your guests on a journey at this desert resort that evokes Spanish and Mediterranean vibes. The Camelback Vista lounge and patio both offer exquisite views and rich decor.
7. BLOC Venue
Location: Sacramento, California
Game of Thrones, but make it modern! This venue offers a mix of sleek, modern elegance with rustic, whimsical charm. The black and white brick accent walls are perfect backdrops for photo opportunities – or your own blank canvas to create whatever atmosphere you want.
Decoration ideas for your Game of Thrones-themed wedding
8. As bride and groom, incorporate the “moon of my life” and “my sun and stars” quote into your decor. Personalize a mirror with your names and the quote to welcome guests to the ceremony, or order handmade chair hangers to add a subtle touch of Game of Thrones to your reception.
9. Hang an “I am yours and you are mine” handmade sign to highlight your themed wedding vows.
10. Personalize wine bottle lights with house sigils or your favorite quotes from the show and place them as centerpieces or decorative accents.
11. For flower options, consider an oxblood and sage bouquet, which combines burgundy dahlias, white mums, and eucalyptus greens. Add silver dollar eucalyptus greens for extra foliage and red hanging amaranthus for a pop of color.
12. Implement branches with red leaves to call to mind the Weirwood trees of Westeros.
14. You can’t be a Mother of Dragons without your dragons – or dragon eggs. Incorporate dragon scales into the wedding cake design, or place handmade dragons eggs as part of the centerpieces as either luminaries or solid decorations. A dragons egg ring case could be a fun prop for the ring bearer.
15. Include greenery in centerpieces and Lannister red or Baratheon yellow for accent colors. Or, give each table its own mini Weirwood tree, with white branches and red leaves.
16. Add wrought iron candle holders and candles of varying sizes and colors to evoke an intimate royal banquet ambience.
17. Incorporate the theme into your seating chart and name cards, with your guests divided into the various houses and seated according to their allegiance: Targaryen, Lannister, Baratheon, Tyrell, and Stark, to name a few. Fashion your reception space like the Red Keep, with house banners denoting where each group should sit.
19. Bring in a replica of the Iron Throne for a photo op, or have it as a backdrop in a pop-up photo booth. Provide fur cloaks, swords, and other props for your guests as they pose from the highest seat in the land.
20. Invite the bartenders and waitstaff to join in on the theme, too. Have them dress up as the Night’s Watch or in the different styles of Westeros.
21. There’s no better way for your guests to enjoy their drink of choice than in a medieval style goblet or wine glass – so they can drink and know things, just like Tyrion Lannister.
Wedding dress suggestions
22. Fur wraps and cloaks for the bride and groom conjure images of Winterfell and the Night’s Watch.
23. Go for a Cersei Lannister-inspired dress with long, drapey sleeves and an ornate bodice.
24. If Daenerys Targaryen is more your style, try a flowy dress with a unique neckline or one with a cape – perfect for a Khaleesi.
25. Try something in red – whether it’s Lannister red or reminiscent of Lady Melisandre is up to you.
Wedding invitation ideas
27. Include ravens on the envelopes, since they’re used throughout Westeros to transmit messages. Use a red wax seal for an added touch of detail.
28. Put “A Wedding Is Coming” on your wedding invitation. Add different house sigils on each, or have the bride and the groom each assigned a house sigil.
30. For asking someone to be in your wedding party, send a personalized “every bride needs a hand” card with the Hand of the King (or Queen) pin enclosed.
Put these Game of Thrones-themed wedding ideas to good use!
Still feel like you know nothing, Jon Snow? We have plenty of additional suggestions and mood boards to spark new ideas. If you favor the forests of Winterfell, explore more possibilities for your wedding with these forest wedding ideas. If a King’s Landing-style ceremony straight from the Red Keep is more your vision, check out this list of beautiful banquet halls for more inspiration.
Up next, check out our list of other unique wedding theme ideas you have to see.