Mother-Son Dance Songs for Any Wedding Theme
By Wedding Spot
Finding the perfect mother-son dance song for your wedding day is no simple task. After all, your mother-son dance should be special and full of emotion, joy, and fun. To help make your search easier, we've compiled a list of our top mother son dance songs for weddings. Whether you’re looking for classic, emotional, fun, or contemporary options, we’ve got you covered with some jams that will perfect your reception playlist!
34 of the best mother-son dance songs for your special day
These songs are sure to get your feet moving and create a memorable moment between you and your mother or son. Whether you’re looking for a classic or a modern jam, there’s something for everyone on this list. So, put on your dancing shoes and get ready to have some fun!
Classic Mother-Son Dance Songs
If you’re looking for a timeless mother-son dance song, then one of these classics might just be the perfect fit:
1. "A Song for Mama" by Boyz II Men
2. "Butterfly Kisses" by Bob Carlisle
3. "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong
4. "You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker
5. "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers
6. "Have I Told You Lately" by Rod Stewart
7. "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts
8. "One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men
9. "Mama's Song” by Carrie Underwood
These classic songs are sure to bring a tear to your eye and a smile to your face. From slow and sentimental to more upbeat, you’re sure to find something you like from our selection of classics. And they’re sure to be crowd-pleasing no matter your wedding theme!
Pssst! You can also pull some classic songs from our father-daughter dance song list if you’re looking for more.
Emotional Mother-Son Dance Songs
If you want to make your guests tear up at your mother-son bond, then look no further than one of these emotional mother-son dance songs. These songs are sure to bring a smile to your face as you share a special moment with your loved one. Emotional songs transcend genre, so don’t skip this section just because you’re a rock fan!
10. "The Perfect Fan” by Backstreet Boys
11. "Superman (It's Not Easy)” by Five for Fighting
12. "Thank You for Being a Friend” by Andrew Gold
13. "Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler
14. "You Raise Me Up” by Josh Groban
15. "Kind and Generous” by Natalie Merchant
16. "Hero” by Mariah Carey
Fun and Uplifting Mother-Son Dance Songs
If you want to kick up the energy with some upbeat music, then make sure to check out these energetic mother-son dance songs.
17. "Do You Love Me” by The Contours
18. "Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars
19. "Hey Mama” by The Black Eyed Peas
20. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
21. "One in a Million” by Aaliyah
22. "Good Times” by Chic
23. "I Get Around” by The Beach Boys
24. "All Star” by Smash Mouth
25. "Celebration” by Kool & The Gang
26. “Happy” by Pharrell Williams
Contemporary Mother-Son Dance Songs
For a modern touch, try out one of these contemporary mother-son dance songs.
27. "Beautiful Crazy” by Luke Combs
28. "Whatever It Takes” by Imagine Dragons
29. "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)” by John Lennon
30. "Just the Way You Are” by Bruno Mars
31. "A Million Dreams” by Pink from The Greatest Showman soundtrack
32. "You Are the Sunshine of My Life” by Stevie Wonder
33. "Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran
34. "Halo” by Beyonce
The A’s to your mother son dance Q’s
What is the mother-son dance at a wedding?
The mother-son dance, despite being less well-known than its famous cousin the father-daughter dance, is a unique tradition and one that deserves to be demystified if you plan to participate in it.
The history of the mother-son dance tradition at weddings can be traced back to the early 20th century when it became a common practice. The dance itself symbolizes the close bond between a mother and her son, and the passing on of love, support, and guidance from the mother to her son as he begins a new chapter in his life.
As weddings have evolved over time, the mother-son dance has remained a popular tradition that many families choose to include in their wedding celebrations. The dance is often a sentimental and emotional moment for both the mother and son to recognize her important role in her son's life, and can serve as a touching reminder of the strong and loving bond between them.
The dance typically takes place after the first dance between the bride and groom, and before the father-daughter dance. We’ve suggested a few dozen options above, but remember that the most important thing is that the song means something to the groom and his mother. Make sure you have a designated videographer and/or photographer ready to capture this sweet moment!
Who picks the mother-son dance song?
Typically, the mother and son will choose the song together for their mother-son dance. The decision can be made with input from other family members and the wedding DJ, but the final choice is usually up to the mother and son. It's a special moment between the two of them, and the song should reflect their relationship and their shared memories. If you’re feeling stuck, just pick one you both like and would feel comfortable dancing to!
If you’re looking for something a little more unique, you can always create your own special mother-son dance song. You can write your own lyrics to a pre-existing song, record a cover version if you’ve got the musical ability, or simply ask your band or DJ to perform a mashup of the two or more of your favorites.
What is the most popular mother-son wedding dance song?
Some classic and timeless choices that are often used for this special dance include:
Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a song that holds special meaning for the mother and son and represents their relationship.
How do you prepare for your mother-son dance?
Here are some tips for preparing for your mother-son dance at the wedding:
● Practice dancing: Take some time to practice dancing together before the wedding. This can help you get comfortable with the song and with each other on the dance floor. You may even want to hire a dance coach or take lessons together if you want to go all out!
● Dress appropriately: Make sure that you both have appropriate attire for the dance, such as comfortable shoes and a style of clothing that you can move easily in. Mom, consider bringing shoes specifically for the dance portion of the evening.
● Timing: Coordinate with the wedding planner or DJ to determine the timing of the mother-son dance in relation to the other events at the reception.
● Rehearse: If possible, try to rehearse the dance a few times before the wedding day to build your confidence and ensure that you are both comfortable with the steps. If you don’t have the dance choreographed (most people don’t) it’s still worth the three or so minutes it takes to practice dancing to it. You may find you need a different version of the song or want to cut it down to make it even shorter!
● Enjoy: Most importantly, remember to relax and enjoy the moment! The mother-son dance is a special moment between the two of you, and it should be a fun and enjoyable experience.
How do you choose the perfect mother-son dance song?
Choosing the perfect mother-son dance song for a wedding can be a special and meaningful process, and there are a few things to keep in mind when making your selection.
● Personal significance: Choose a song that holds special meaning for you both. It should reflect your relationship and shared memories.
● Tempo: Consider the tempo of the song since that will determine the pace and style of your dance.
● Lyrics: Look for a song with lyrics that express your love, admiration, and pride for your son or your love and appreciation for your mother.
● Musical style: Take into account your personal musical tastes and choose a song that fits both of your styles.
● Sentimentality: Opt for a song that evokes emotions and memories for you both. Remember, those emotions don’t have to be tearful, they can also be fun or even funny!
It's also a good idea to listen to several different songs and practice dancing to them before making a final decision. You might like the idea of dancing to one song but discover that another one is actually more comfortable to move to!
Perfect your wedding playlist
The mother-son dance is a special moment in your or your son’s wedding, and choosing the right song will make it even more meaningful and memorable. And don't worry, we've got suggestions to round out the rest of your wedding playlist as well!
Up next, do you know if you want a wedding band or DJ? Check out our definitive list of pros and cons for wedding bands and DJs to help you choose!