20 Wedding Dance Floor Ideas You and Your Guests Will Love
By Wedding Spot
Your wedding dance floor is one of the focal points of your reception, and the place where you’ll have your first twirls as newlyweds. Plus, it’s where your guests will spend much of their time dancing the night away. So why not make it unique? In this post, we’ll give you wedding dance floor ideas for any type of reception, as well as answer a few frequently asked questions about wedding dance floors.
What can you use as a wedding dance floor?
With more options than ever before, it’s easy to get creative with your dance floor and make it memorable for your guests. Remember, your dance floor has two key functions: providing an attractive area for the photographers to capture, and creating an environment that’s as inviting as possible for everyone in attendance. You can select a venue that already has a built-in dance floor and decorate it to fit your theme, or opt for a temporary and totally customizable floor. From monograms to checkered floors, enchanting floral suspensions or dazzling chandeliers – the sky is the limit.
Do you need a dance floor at your wedding?
A dance floor may not be a must-have at your wedding, and that’s OK. But you’ll want your wedding to be remembered by your friends and family long after it’s over – and having a lively dance floor is a fun way to help guests create memories of their own. Weddings mark the beginning of a new chapter in your life and your dance floor is the canvas for that all-important first dance as a married couple. It is essential to set the stage properly, and you can use your dance floor as a way to keep all eyes on the moment.
Can you put a dance floor on the grass?
If you are hosting your wedding reception outdoors, it is better – and safer – to have a dance floor laid out over the grass. Any rental company should be able to install the platform and will save your guests in stilettos from sinking into the ground all night. Creating an elevated dance floor also makes it easy to keep long dresses and nice shoes clean, so the only thing your guests have to worry about is what moves to tear up the dance floor with.
Explore 20 wedding dance floor ideas for your big day:
Check out some tasteful, yet budget-friendly, wedding dance floor ideas to wow your guests and encourage a night filled with dancing.
1. Checkered. Simple, yet oh-so-elegant. Keep it classy with a black and white checkered dance floor, accompanied by a regal chandelier. Or, if you’re feeling a bit whimsical, opt for multicolored checkered boxes to add an extra dose of energy to your colorful wedding theme. These types of floors are incredibly easy to rent and budget friendly.
2. Balloon filled. Who doesn’t love balloons? Balloons are reminiscent of some of our earliest celebrations in life, and can be an extremely budget-friendly way to infuse joy into your reception! Feel the excitement radiate amongst your guests – including the young and young-at-heart. Drape balloons across the dance floor or have them scattered around the dance floor for a fun vibe.
3. Poolside. Does your wedding venue feature a picturesque pool? Use it to your advantage and situate your dance floor next to the pool for some upscale fun. If you want to take it up a notch, install a transparent dance floor over the pool. Paired with the right lighting and music, this setup will exceed expectations.
4. Disco ball themed. Give the retro theme a modern refresh from the singular disco ball in the middle of the dance floor. To make your reception shine, pair multiple disco balls of all sizes at varying lengths with minimalistic hanging lights. Stick with classic silver or go for the gold and switch up the colors of your disco balls to enhance your own unique ambiance.
5. Illuminated. This wedding dance floor idea is ideal for more contemporary themes because it’s so versatile. Keep it understated and elegant with all-white lighting or spice it up with changing multicolored tiles. You can match the mood of your music to the floor for a fun vibe that will keep your guests grooving.
6. Mosaic themed. Bright colors or hypnotizing patterns on the dance floor will surely energize the mood for your reception, as your guests are drawn to the dance floor. Your unique floor will also serve as a beautiful work of art in your wedding photos and set your aesthetic apart from the typical reception.
7. Carpet. If you’re having your wedding reception outdoors, or just want to cover up some unsightly ballroom carpeting, go for a budget-conscious carpet dance floor. Your guests will be worry-free and relaxed enough to take off those uncomfortable shoes and bust some moves.
8. Wooden. A country or rustic wedding theme just wouldn’t be complete without a beautiful wooden dance floor. This floor will give your reception an earthy-yet-elegant feel to perfectly complement your wedding style. Wooden dance floors are simple to rent and offer a range of wood types and grains.
9. Beach themed. If your wedding reception is set by the sea – or if you wish it was – then a nautical theme could be ideal for you. Customize your wedding floor with crisp white wood, seashells, and ocean hues. When the sun sets, illuminate coastal-inspired lanterns that will have your guests ready to sail into the night.
10. Moss themed. Incorporate your love for flora and fauna with this wedding dance floor idea, even if you aren’t hosting your reception outside. Cover your dance floor with moss and let your guests join in by giving them flower petals to scatter while you glide through the big first dance. Complete the earthy atmosphere with freestanding or hanging floral installations.
11. Paper décor themed. If you’re trying to get the most bang for your buck, let your artistic side shine and spruce up your dance floor with DIY tassels and papier-mâché. Hang some romantic paper lanterns in your wedding colors above the dance floor to make the space feel dreamy.
12. Monogrammed. Is there a better way to set the tone of your ultra-chic wedding than with a sophisticated monogram of your initials? Imprint your monogram straight on the dance floor, or project it from above to create a swanky ambiance. This wedding dance floor idea may be simple, but it is an affordable and classic way to personalize your wedding.
13. Mirrored. Make a glamorous statement with a reflective dance floor to open up your reception space. If you want to go above and beyond, a mirrored dance floor set up outside or beneath a clear-top tent could make your wedding one for the ages as it reflects the stars or a stunning sunset.
14. Floral. Let your dance floor blossom with a charming floral theme. Incorporate the beauty of flowers in your big day without burning a hole in your pockets. Keep it clean with projections of your favorite flower or hang a bouquet chandelier over the dance floor, surrounded by floral columns.
15. Umbrella canopy themed. Create a quirky and colorful ceiling with umbrellas suspended over your wedding dance floor. Add pops of color when you mix and match patterns or different shades of your wedding theme colors. Accompanied by the right tunes, your guests won’t be able to stay away from this fun dance floor.
16. Marble themed. Are you looking for a regal dance floor that doesn’t come with a hefty price tag? Marble style dance floors are extremely versatile and easily customizable to fit your wedding theme.
17. Tented. You can still keep the cozy feel of an indoor reception with an outdoor covering. A tented dance floor works best on warm, summer nights when you can hang dreamy tulle drapes and overhead fixtures. Play around with colors and lights to jazz up an otherwise ordinary white tent.
18. Vintage rug themed. For a more bohemian wedding theme, opt for vintage rugs to complement your vibe. They are easy and cheap to rent, or you can buy the rugs and reuse them in your home as a reminder of your special day. If your venue allows, set up bonfires near the dance floor to create a mystical mood for the reception.
19. Celestial themed. Light up your indoor wedding reception with the all the magic of the night sky! Make sure you have a solid dance floor and enlist the help of a lighting expert to recreate the stars. To make your dance floor sparkle, hang star-shaped fairy lights and dim other overhead lights.
20. Neon themed. Get ready to dance your socks off on an electrifying neon dance floor! Pump up your wedding reception with black lights and hire a DJ that’ll keep the party moving all night long.
Put these wedding dance floor ideas into action!
A wedding dance floor can take the reception from drab to fab, so if you’re able, don’t let this element fall through the cracks. After all, everyone will be itching to get on the dance floor once the party starts. Just make sure to pair your dance floor with the right music and lighting to perfect your desired vibe.